Skyping your first host family can seem like a daunting experience. But like any other job interview, you have to look your best and impress the interviewer! Here are some tips I’d like to share with you…
- Don’t wear your pajamas. Remember that this is a job interview even though it’s on Skype or FaceTime! Look professional and make sure the background is clear of any extraneous activity.
- Ensure sound/lightning is of good quality. Test this out by Skyping a friend before your call.
- After your interview, chase the host family up via email or them for another interview but try not to be too eager.
- Don’t pick your first host family. Talk to others and truly get an idea of what’s out there especially if this is your first time being an au pair.
- Have an idea of what age range you would like to look after and consider your childcare experiences.
- Here are some questions to ask when Skyping your host family:
– What are your expectations of hosting an au pair?
– What will be my main responsibilities?
– How many hours will I work everyday?
– How will you welcome me into your home?
– Can I talk to your current au pair or previous nanny?
– Why have you chosen to host an au pair?
– Will I have free time or access to my own vehicle?
– What is there to do in the local area? i.e, movie theatre, mall, etc.
I know this may seem like an exhaustive list of questions but remember, you’re going to be living and working with an entirely new family in a different country so your personalities, beliefs and expectations should be similar.
If you have any tips for new au pairs, feel free to share them on our page!