1)Is it me or when you mention the word “REMATCH” regular people look at you like you’re an alien because only an au pair can understand?
2) Is it me or sometimes you just can’t find the perfect sentence to say because of the language barrier and when you find it it’s in awkward situation like…when you’re about to sleep, when you’re doing laundry or even in the middle of the night?
3) Is it me or sometimes you pretend to use the bathroom just to check on Facebook or even just to have a break from your kids even though you like them so much?
4) Is it me or every day you tell yourself that you will lose weight before you go back to your country and as time flies you still weigh the same?
5) Is it me or sometimes you’re too lazy to pronounce words with the perfect accent so you just let your original accent take control?
6) Is it me or as soon as you hear your favorite song in public you stand up ready to say ” THAT’S MY SONG” before you remember that you actually don’t know the lyrics and your friends might make fun of you since everyone understands English?
7) Is it me or sometimes you pretend to not hear that your host kid just disrespected you because you’re too lazy or too tired to tell him the same sentence ” What did you say? Time out, in your room!”
8) Is it me or you’re so used to using your digital calculator on your phone that you forgot everything about math, division etc that when you have to help your host kid you pretend to use the bathroom just to check how to do it on the internet?
9) Is it me or when you say you’re an au pair in the real world people are all like “A WHAT?”
10) Is it me or every weekend after you spend all your salary in 1 day you promise yourself to save for your next adventure and end up doing the same thing all over again?
11) Is it me or do all your family and friends think that you live a fabulous lifestyle when in actually you’re just a desperate housewife without all the advantages?
12) Is it me or one month before you leave the country you start to become “cray-cray” wondering what will be your plans for the future?
13) Is it me or do your host kids always correct your English in the most embarrassing moments? Like in front of a ‘cutey’ or random people as if you were a dummy.
14) Is it me or since you’ve become an au pair you’ve never had so many crushes in your entire life? Your neighbour? Your kids’ teacher? A hot guy in a club? Tinder? Whatever?
15) Is it me or sometimes you go in the store wearing your pajamas after you dropped your kids off at school?
16) Is it me or sometimes you’re so homesick that you spend all day in bed and you take your shower late…late….late at night… maybe around midnight?
17) Is it me or do you like to complain about everything when you’re an au pair and when you go back you’ll give everything to have one more chance to live this adventure again?
18) Is it me or sometimes you feel like your life is like a TV Show abroad?
19) Is it me or you have encountered at least one fuck boy during your au pair year? *Fuckboy= A guy that leads girls on just for hook-ups, says he’s really into you but doesn’t want to deal with all the “relationship bullshit” just to fuck you. He thinks about himself and only himself all the time but pretends to be really nice.
Please tell me in the comment section if I’m not crazy and if you too feel concerned:) And if you want to know more about Maeva (former au pair) and all the celebrities she met…then check this video:
This article has been edited by Louise Pritchard